One of the many common questions on the lips of many people is the different classifications or types of Nurses in Ghana and The uniforms that they wear. Ideally, you should be able to identify a nurse or a nursing student just by looking at their uniform but most people are not able to do that.
We have various types of nurses in Ghana and they wear different types of Uniforms. The type of uniforms degree nurses wear are different from those of diploma and certificate nurses.
Nursing in Ghana is a prestigious and noble profession cherished by most people. Nursing students or trainees and even newly posted nurses sometimes have little or no knowledge concerning the uniform each type of nurse is supposed to wear.
In nursing (particularly in Ghana), there are several ranks. One of the things that massively differentiate the rank of nurses is the uniform they wear.
For example, a certified nurse does not wear the same uniform worn by nursing officers (Degree Nurses).
Also, some nurses wear different coloured belts to show their ranks.
As an aspiring nurse or a nursing trainee, we deem it important to educate you on the types of nurses in Ghana and their uniforms.
On top of that, the general public should also know.
Let us start with the type of nurses we have in Ghana.
Types or ranks of nurses in Ghana
There are currently 14 types or categories of nurses in Ghana.
Types of nurses in Ghana and their uniforms in 2021
Now let’s see the uniform worn by the different categories of register nurses (RN).
Ghana Nurses Uniform
- District Director of Nursing Services (DDNS) wear white uniform with a waste belt
- Degree nurses (nursing officers) wear white uniform.
- Diploma nurses wear the green uniform with a white collar
- Certificate nurses wear green uniform with a green collar
- Nurse practitioners wear multicolored attire of their choice
- Community health nurses (certificate) wear the brown uniform
- Degree midwives wear white uniform with a black belt.
- Diploma midwives wear green uniform with black belt.
- Senior nursing officers wear blue uniform
- Theatre nurses usually wear nurses scrubs.
- Scrub nurses wear the scrub uniform
- Mental Health nurses wear either the green or white uniform depending on their qualifications.
- Diploma student nurses wear green uniform with white strips at the arm.
- Degree student nurses wear a white top and white down.
Important things to note
Although there is a dress code specified by the Nursing and Midwifery Council in Ghana, some facilities have their own protocols concerning dressing. Some teaching hospital only uses the scrub dressing system.
Scrub uniforms can be of different colors.