UNISA DBL Programme Information
DBL programme information
Doctor of Business Leadership Curriculum
The curriculum comprises a proposal followed by a thesis as per the prescribed timetable on an approved topic. The students must attend at least four colloquia to submit reports on the following:
- Research proposal idea
- Approved research proposal and extensive literature review
- Research methodology
- Research results (findings)
Satisfactory progress must be demonstrated at the colloquia to ensure re-registration.
At least three colloquia are held every year to provide open discussion of a candidate’s presentations on his/her research progress. It is strongly recommended that all registered doctoral candidates attend these colloquia since they provide opportunities for constructive interaction between academics and candidates.
STAGE 1: Research proposal module (24 Credits)
After registration, candidates must attend compulsory research proposal module workshops. For candidates residing in South Africa, research proposal module workshops are conducted over weekends, for a period of six months. For international candidates, dates for the workshops will be communicated.
- Colloquium: Research proposal idea and literature overview
STAGE 2: Full thesis module and colloquia (336 Credits)
This includes compulsory presentations at three colloquia and the writing of the thesis.
- First colloquium: Approved research proposal and extensive literature overview
- Second colloquium: Research methodology
- Third colloquium: Presentation of the research results, which entails the successful defence of the final results
Completion of Degree
Candidates will have a minimum of two years and a maximum of six years in which to complete the DBL degree successfully.