UDS 2020/2021 Courses and Requirements, Below is the full detail of all the undergraduate courses offered at the University for Development Studies, UDS:
- FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE (FOA)
- 4-Year BSc Agriculture Technology (Agricultural Mechanization & Irrigation Technology, Agronomy, Agricultural Economics & Extension, Animal Science, Horticulture and Biotechnology)
- 4-Year BSc (Family & Consumer Sciences)
- 4-Year BEd (Agricultural Science)
- 4-Year BSc Veterinary Nursing
- 4-Year BSc Food Processing Technology
- 4-Year BSc Biotechnology and Molecular Biology
- FACULTY OF NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENT (FNRE)
- 4-Year BSc Renewable Natural Resources and Environment (with options in Forest & Forest Resources Management; Range & Wildlife Management; Ecotourism & Environmental Management; and Fisheries & Aquatic Resource Management)
- 4-Year BSc. Fisheries and Aquaculture Technology
- 4-Year BSc. Ecotourism and Hospitality Management
- 4-Year BSc. Environmental Management and Sustainability
- 4-Year BSc. Forest Resource Conservation and Management
These programmes are for Pure Science or Agricultural Science (WASSCE) holders only. However, non-science-based applicants with credit passes in Elective Mathematics, Economics and Geography and at least C4 in Integrated Science qualify to apply. Qualified General Arts, Home Economics and Business students can apply for BSc. Ecotourism and Hospitality Management. HND and other Diploma applicants should possess a Second Class Lower or better in related programmes.
- 2-Year Diploma in Natural Resource Management
- 2-Year Diploma in Social Change Communication
FACULTY OF MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES (FMS)
- 4-Year BSc (Actuarial Science)
- 4-Year BSc (Computer Science)
- 4-Year BSc (Financial Mathematics)
- 4-Year BSc (Mathematical Science (Mathematics Option))
- 4-Year BSc (Mathematical Science (Statistics Option))
- 4-Year BSc (Mathematics-With-Economics)
- 4-Year BSc (Computing -With-Accounting)
- 4-Year BSc (Information Technology)
- 2-Year Diploma in Statistics
- 2-Year Diploma in Computer Science
FACULTY OF APPLIED SCIENCES (FAS)
- 4-Year BSc (Applied Biology)
- 4-Year BSc (Applied Chemistry)
- 4-Year BSc (Biochemistry)
- 4-Year BSc (Applied Physics)
- 4-Year B.Ed (Physical Sciences)
FACULTY OF EARTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES (FEES)
- 4-Year BSc (Geological Science)
- 4-Year BSc (Environmental Science)
To be eligible for admission into the Faculty of Mathematical Sciences (FMS), successful candidates are expected to have at least a grade C6 in Mathematics (Elective). Students admitted into the Faculty of Applied Sciences (FAS) may be allowed to join the Faculty of Mathematical Sciences (FMS) at level 200, subject to first year performance in the pre-requisite subject areas. Candidates seeking transfer from Faculty of Mathematical Sciences (FMS) to Faculty of Applied Sciences (FAS) at level 200 must meet requirements in the latter before any switch will be allowed.
FACULTY OF INTEGRATED DEVELOPMENT STUDIES (FIDS)
- 4-Year BA Integrated Development Studies
- 4-Year BA Environment and Resources Management
- 4-Year BA Economics
- 4-Year BA Entrepreneurship
- 4-Year BA Development Communication
- 4-Year BA Social and Development Administration
- 2-Year Diploma in Integrated Community Development (DICD)
- 2-Year Diploma in Development Management
To be eligible for admission into the BA (Integrated Community Development) programme, candidates must have, in additionto the core subjects requirements; credit passes (A1 to C6) in three elective subjects from either General Arts or Business Programmes For BSc (Planning), candidates must have credit passes (A1 to C6) in English Language, Mathematics(Core), Integrated Science (not Social Studies), plus either all subjects in category A, or any two subjects from category A and one subject from Category B below:
|Business Mathematics and Costing
Candidates seeking admission to read BSc (Real Estate) programme must have credit passes in English Language, Mathematics (core), Integrated Science, Economics, and any two subjects from category A or one subject from category A and one subject from category B below:
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AND LAW (SBL)
- 4-Year BA Integrated Business Studies (Accounting and Management options)
- 4-Year BSc, Accounting
- 4-Year BSc. Accounting with Finance
- 4-Year Bachelor of Commerce(Accounting, Finance, Marketing and Human Resource Management)
- 2-Year Diploma in Integrated Business Studies
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE AND HEALTH SCIENCES (SMHS)
- 6-Year Medicine (MBChB) (This programme is for only WASSCE candidates with Elective Science subjects)
- 6-Year Medicine (MBCHB Preparatory Fee Paying Programme)
This programme is for both WASSCE/SSSCE candidates with Elective Science subjects aggregate 12 or better and also graduates with Bachelor of Science degree programmes (2nd Class Upper Division or better) including but not limited to Anatomy, Physiology, Human Biology, Biological Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry, Nursing, Microbiology, Laboratory Sciences, Pharmacy, Nutrition, Biotechnology and Pharmacology can apply. All fee paying applicants would be required to go through a 4-week preparatory programme in some selected subjects to qualify for admission. Closing date is July, 2020. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for the preparatory programme.
For further enquiries, contact: 020 817 5839, 024 477 8734, 020 647 7078
- 6-Year Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) (This programme is for only WASSCE candidates with Elective Science subjects)
- 2/3-Year BSc (Nurse Anaesthesia) ( For only RGN(Diploma), RGN(BSc Nursing), or Advanced Diploma in Nurse Anaesthesia)There will be interviews for all candidates (Diploma Holders) scheduled for July, 2020 at the Tamale Campus.
The Faculty of Education is admitting suitably qualified persons into a fulltime and/or top-up Bachelor of Educationin the following programmes
- 4-Year BA (Development Education) – Tamale Campus
- 4-Year B.ED (Social Science) – Wa Campus
- 4-Year B.ED (Business Studies) – Wa Campus
- 4-Year B.ED (Agriculture Science) – Nyankpala Campus
- 4-Year B.ED (Mathematics) – Navrongo Campus
- 4-Year B.ED (Science) – Navrongo Campus
- 4-Year B.Ed in Basic Education – Tamale Campus
- 4-Year B.Ed in Early Childhood Care and Education. This is a full time programme for WASSCE holders – Tamale Campus
- 2-Year Diploma in Development Education
- 2-Year Diploma in Basic Education
- 2-Year Diploma in Early Childhood care and Education
POST DIPLOMA SANDWICH COURSES 2019
Sandwich courses leading to the award of diplomas in the following programmes
- 2-Year B.Ed in Basic Education. This is a Post Diploma degree programme for holders of Diploma in Basic Education. The programme will be run as a top-up on weekends or Sandwich (July/August) for workers –Tamale Campus
- 2-Year B.Ed in Early Childhood Care and Education. This is a Post Diploma degree programme for holders of Diploma in Early Childhood Education. The programme will be run as a top-up on weekends or Sandwich (July/August) for workers –Tamale Campus
SANDWICH DIPLOMA COURSES 2020
Sandwich courses leading to the award of diplomas in the following programmes:
- Diploma in Social Change Communication
- Diploma in Basic Education
- Diploma in Natural Resource Management
- Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education
- Diploma in Education
PARALLEL DIPLOMA COURSES 2020
Parallel courses leading to the award of diplomas in the following programmes:
- Diploma in Agriculture Technology
- Diploma in Biotechnology
- Diploma in Family and Consumer Sciences
- Diploma In Agricultural Science Education
General Entry Requirements – 2020/2021 Academic Year
i. WASSCE Holders (for Degree Programmes)
WASSCE holders seeking admission into Degree programmes must have at least C6 in all their three Core and three Elective Subjects.
WASSCE holders who have Grade D7 or E8 or F9 in any one of their three Core or three Elective subjects are advised not to apply for a degree programme.
Candidates should therefore possess, at least, credit scores/grades in the following:
- Three Core subjects (English Language, Mathematics (Core) and Integrated Science / Social Studies).
- Any three Elective subjects in the relevant programmes.
- Aggregate Score of the best six subjects (three Core and three Elective subjects) must not exceed 36. However, admissions will be on competitive basis, and various programmes offered in UDS have their cut-off points much lower than aggregate 36 for WASSCE.
- Candidates should note that Social Studies is not an Elective subject.
- For candidates who read Arts and Business subjects at WASSCE, a grade in Social Studies may be used in place of the grade in Integrated Science in the calculation of their aggregates if the Social Studies grade is better than the grade in Integrated Science. This is however on condition that the candidate has at least a pass in Integrated Science.
- For Science students, however,Social Studies (Core) does not replace Integrated Science (Core) in the calculation of candidates’ aggregates.
ii. WASSCE Holders (for Diploma Programmes)
Candidates who do not meet the requirements for Degree programmes in UDS are advised to apply for any one of the Diploma programmes (Diploma in Integrated Community Development, Diploma in Integrated Business Studies, and Diploma in Development Management, all of which are offered at the Wa Campus; Diploma in Development Education is offered in Tamale Campus; Diploma in Statistics and Diploma in Computer Science are both offered in Navrongo Campus; and Diploma in Social Change Communication is offered in Nyankpala Campus)
- To be admitted into a Diploma programme, three credits passes in the area of specialization (Elective subjects) and at least two passes ( D7 or better) in English Language and Mathematics in WASSCE is required. Any candidate without a pass in English Language and Mathematics (Core) need not apply for the Diploma. It is not likely that all candidates with the minimum requirements for Diploma programmes will be admitted. Preference will be given to candidates who have good grades/credit passes.
Candidates, who have met the requirements for Degree programmes (Credits in three Elective and three Core subjects), but have aggregates that are not good enough may be admitted into Diploma programmes.
iii. HND and other Diploma Holders Seeking Admission into Degree Programmes
HND and other Diploma applicants seeking admission to Degree programmes should possess at least a:
- Second Class Lower or better in related programmes would be admitted into Level 200;
- Third Class or Pass would be considered for admission to Level 100.
- Candidates would be required to pass a selection interview to be conducted by the University. The interviews are scheduled for Friday June 21, 2019, at theTamale Campus.
1. Registered Nurses
Applicants to the 3-Year BSc Nurse Practitioner programme or 2/3-Year BSc Nursing programme must be Registered Nurses with a Diploma or State Registered Nurses Certificate and at least three years working experience. Candidates without three years working experience are advised not to apply.
For the BSc Nurse Anaesthesia programme, candidates should have one of the following: RGN (Diploma) with a minimum of 3 years post-registration working experience, RGN (BSc Nursing) with 2 years post-registration working experience and Advanced Diploma in Nurse Anaesthesia with 2 years working experience
2. Calculation of Aggregates
For the avoidance of doubt, the University for Development Studies has adopted the WASSCE system for computation of final aggregates. Equivalences are as follows:
Postgraduate Entry Requirements
All applicants to our full-time and sandwich graduate programmes are required to pass a selection interview to be conducted by the relevant Department of the University.
Applicants applying for research related programmes (M.Sc. by research/M.Phil./Ph.D.) should include a short research proposal.
The minimum requirements for admission are:
For PG.D./M.A./M.Sc./M.Phil . programmes:
- Applicants must possess a good Bachelor’s degree in a related field from any approved / recognized University or Institution.
- Candidates with Third Class or Pass are strongly advised not to apply.
For PhD programmes:
- An MPhil./MSc. Degree by research from any approved/recognized University or Institution. Persons with a Masters Degree that is not with a Full Thesis component should not apply for a PhD programme. Such applicants are advised to apply for an MPhil.