UL Nursing Admission Requirements, in other to study Nursing at the University of Limpopo, on must meet the admission requirements of the school.
Undergraduate Degree (honours inclined) B.NURS
Duration of study: Minimum 4years Maximum 5years
National Senior Certificate with bachelor endorsement from the following subjects:
- English level 4
- Mathematics level 4
- Physical Science level 5
- Life Science level 5
- Two additional subjects: Home language at level 4
- History, Geography, Agriculture, Accounting, or other subjects at level 4
Total minimum credit of 26
- A candidate may be admitted to the department by recognition of prior learning.
- The selected candidate will be required to register with South African Nursing Council that will enable him/her to practice as a student nurse in the hospitals and clinics.
All registered students will be subjected to teaching and learning process in the department. The process can be lecturing, individual learning, Group discussion/learning, Role-playing, Simulations and Case studies in hospitals, clinics, occupational centers (mines, old age homes, disability centers) and clinics. The students will be allocated to the above experiential learning centers so that they gain experience and more knowledge, and accumulate practical hours as required by South Africa Nursing Council.
Completion to the above degree enables one to work in the Hospitals (Public and Private), Clinics, Nursing Schools and Occupational industries anywhere in South Africa. The person has an opportunity to persue Master`s studies in any higher educational institution both national and international.
Postgraduate qualifications of Department of Nursing Science include Postgraduate Diploma in Primary Healthcare (PHC), Masters of Nursing (MNURS) and Doctoral Philosophy in Nursing (PhD).
Diploma in Primary Healthcare (PHC)
Duration of the study: Minimum 12 months
- Honors degree at NQF level 8, with overall credits of 60%
- Registered with South African Nursing Council as a professional nurse,
- Minimum two years working in either in the hospitals or clinics or occupational industries
Masters of Nursing
Duration of the study: Minimum 2 Max 4years
- Honors degree at NQF level 8 with a minimum credits of 60%
- Minimum two years of working experience in either the hospitals or clinics or occupational industries
- Advance Postgraduate Diploma at NQF level 8
- Or by Recognition of prior learning that relates to research projects (Individual proof will be needed).
Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing
Duration of study: Minimum 3 years, Max 5years
- Master`s degree in Nursing at NQF level 9 with a minimum credits of 60%
- Minimum 5 years of working experience in either the hospitals or clinics or occupational industries.
All postgraduate students will be subjected to a two weeks induction workshop immediately after registration. A postgraduate student in PHC will be engaged in course work of four courses in a semester. PHC student are also expected to write mini-dissertation in order to complete their studies. Masters and PhD students do not have coursework and will do full dissertation to complete their postgraduate studies.
Obtaining a postgraduate degree provides an opportunity to work in public health sectors as directors, managers, or and career in higher educational training institutions and research organisations such as Medical Research Council.