UL Mankweng, The University of Limpopo is a public university in Limpopo at the foot of the Hwiti (Wolkberg) mountain range in Mankweng, halfway between Polokwane and Magoebaskloof. The university was formed by the merging of the University of the North and the Medical University of South Africa.
The University of the North was established in 1959 under the policy of racially segregated institutions during apartheid. It was situated at Turfloop farm about 40km east of Pietersburg. The town that grew around it was called Sovenga – after the Sotho, Venda, and Tsgona cultures that were supposed to study here. Today, most people call the town Mankweng after one of the chiefs who lived in the area.
The University of the North was a key institution during apartheid and merged with the former Medical University (MEDUNSA) of Southern African in 2005. MEDUNSA was established in 1976 to provide tertiary education and training for the previously disadvantaged in the fields of medicine, allied health and nursing sciences, and dentistry.
- Health sciences
- Science and agriculture
- Management and law