UL Dispensing Course, Since May 2004, dispensing licences have been required for doctors and nurses who dispense medicines. This distance education, self-learning package is approved by the SA Pharmacy Council.
Registration with the Health Council of South Africa
The course package consists of a training manual with activities to be completed in participants’ own time. One practical session is scheduled for groups of participants at a central or local venue. Assessment takes place after the practical tuition session.
- Evaluate a prescription and access the patient profile/record
- Dispense the prescription
- Hand medicine to patients and give appropriate advice and warnings
- Maintain professional dispensing records
- Manage the procurement and storage of medicines
The manual includes additional sections for relevant legislation and standards as well as practical information and examples