UL Campuses

by Israel Boafo Bansah

UL┬áCampuses, The University of Limpopo’s Medunsa Campus can be found north-west of Pretoria. The grounds consist of 350 ha next to the Ga-Rankuwa Township with easy access by road, rail, taxi and bus services.

It is well positioned in the hills of Hwiti ( Wolkbeerg range) in Mankweng which is half way between Polokwane and Magoebaskloof.

Faculties

Health Sciences

  • School of Oral Health Sciences
  • School of Pathology and Pre-Clinical Sciences
  • School of Health Care Sciences(MEDUNSA Campus)
  • School of Health Sciences(Turfloop Campus)
  • School of Medicine 

Humanities

  • School of Education
  • School of Languages & Communication Studies
  • School of Social Sciences

Science & Agriculture

  • School of Computational & Mathematical Sciences
  • School of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
  • School of Molecular and Life Sciences
  • School of Physical and Mineral Sciences

 Management & Law

  •  School of Economics and Management
  •  School of Law
  •  School of Accountancy (SoA)

 Centres of Excellence

  • SAVIC – South African Vaccination and Immunisation Centre
  • Limpopo Agro-Food Technology Station
  • Centre For Academic Excellence
  • Science Centre

 Notable alumni

  • Frank Chikane
  • Cyril Ramaphosa

History

The University of Limpopo was formed when the Medical University of Southern Africa MEDUNSA and the University of the North merged in 2005

In 1959 the University Education act promulgated the establishment of racially exclusive universities for black South Africans. Due to this act the University College of the North was established 30 km from Polokwane in the Limpopo province. 

1 August 1959 saw the College being placed under the University of South Africa. 

The College was changed to University status in 1970 after the University of the North Act no 74 of 1969 which was passed by the South African Parliament.

University of Limpopo (UL) (Turfloop Campus) in Mankweng-E, Polokwane Rural, Limpopo

Finding solutions for Africa

The Turfloop Campus is situated east of Polokwane, in the middle of densely populated areas that used to be called homelands.

The Turfloop campus embodies the fundamental aim of the university which is to be a leading university that addresses the needs of the African rural communities. 

This campus is home to the Materials Modelling Centre which is a leader in the field of computational modelling techniques to develop metal alloys and polymers also relating to platinum which is the provinces economic mainstay

Faculties

Health Sciences

  • School of Pathology and Pre-Clinical Sciences
  • School of Medicine
  • School of Health Sciences
  • School of Oral Health Sciences
  • Department Of Nursing Sciences 

Humanities 

  • School of social sciences
  • School of Education
  • School of Languages & Communication Studies
  • School of Social Sciences

Sciences & Agriculture

  • School of Computational & Mathematical Sciences
  • School of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences
  • School of Molecular & Life Sciences
  • School of Physical & Mineral Sciences

Residences

  • Post Graduate Village
  • Post Graduate Residences
  • High Rise Residences (For under graduates)
  • Plattelands
  • Prefabricated Residences (For first entering students)

History

During the time of apartheid when the policy of separate ethnically based institutions was in force the University of the North was established and the year was 1959

The university was housed 40 km east of Pietersburg on a farm called Turfloop.

Sovengo was the name given to the town that grew around the university and it stood for Sotho, Venda and Tsonga that were the 3 ethnic groups that were earmarked to study there.

Most of the local population refer to the town as Mankweng, in memory of one of the chiefs of the area. 

The university was heavily subsided by the government but the students did not have the education base strong enough so the teaching was put under pressure due to this fact.

The university was a nucleus of the resistance of apartheid era of the 1960s, 70s, and 80s and the South African Police often occupied the campus. 

In 2005 the University of Limpopo was created when the Medical University of Southern Africa and the University of the North merged.

Related Articles