Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Clinical Psychology, The MA in Clinical Psychology degree at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University shall be obtained on completion of theoretical modules, the required practical work, the treatise and the internship to the satisfaction of Senate.
Practical work equaling 20 hours per week in the first year of study is prescribed by the Professional Board for Psychology. Each student carries a case load of 4 – 6 clients concurrently and receives individual supervision of one hour per week and group supervision of two hours per week.
Candidates shall be admitted to the internship in the second year of study on selection and on proof of registration as an Intern Psychologist with the Professional Board for Psychology. Internship training extends over a period of not less than 12 months and must be undertaken at an institution accredited for this purpose by the Professional Board for Psychology of the Health Professions Council of South Africa.
The University Clinic in collaboration with the Elizabeth Donkin Hospital is accredited for the training of Clinical Psychology Interns.
The curriculum of the MA in Clinical Psychology degree at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University includes:
- Psychopathology of Adulthood and Ageing
- Assessment of Children and Adolescents
- Individual Psychological Intervention
- Child Neuropsychology
- Professional Issues in Psychology
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Psychopathology of Childhood and Adolescence
- Assessment of Adults
- Group Psychological Intervention
- Couple Counselling
- Integrative Models of Individual and Group Psychological Intervention
- Adult Neuropsychology
- Sport, Exercise and Health Psychology
- Research Planning and Presentation (Attendance Course)
Note that these are the specific admission requirements for the MA in Clinical Psychology programme. Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University has its own minimum admission requirements. For details please fill out the on this page.
- Bachelor Honours degree in Psychology or equivalent BPsych 4th year degree
- Candidates must be registered with the Professional Board of Psychology as students
- All candidates shall be subject to selection