The programme is a 4-year programme leading to the award of BSc. Physician Assistantship Studies – Medical. The programme is designed to train a critical group of professionals who are often the first-line of management of patients and ideally work under the supervision of a qualified physician.
The PA works in primary care and specialty care roles in both rural and urban settings. They also have a role to play in preventive Medicine, as well as in educational, research, and administrative activities. Graduates from the PA programme are certified by the Ghana Medical and Dental Council to exercise a level of autonomy in the performance of clinical responsibilities within Ghana’s health care delivery system.
At the end of the programme, the PA degree holder should be able to:
1. Manage sub-district health activities and resources such as personnel, drugs and equipment
2. Assess the health status of community members, diagnose the sick and appropriately manage them using available resources and to give relevant operational support at the district level.
3. Identify cases of emergencies and cases beyond his scope of knowledge and skills and make referrals to the district level.
4. Educate the patient and the community on disease prevention, family planning, child health care and nutrition.
5. Identify community health problems and conduct research and communicate findings to community members as part of problem-solving activities.
6. Prepare and communicate regular reports on the primary health care (PHC) activities to the district health authority.
7. Assist the medical doctor to improve the care of patients at all levels.
Pentecost University College Contact Details
P. O. Box KN 1739