CUT Emblem, Our Vision 2020 statement is: “By 2020, Central University of Technology, Free State shall be an engaged university that focuses on producing quality social and technological innovations for socio-economic development, primarily in the Central Region of South Africa”. In other words, by 2020, CUT will be a centre of knowledge, innovation and excellence producing a critical mass of innovators that directly contributes to prosperity-creation.
We will do this by graduating an industry-ready workforce and entrepreneurs. We will focus on local and regional innovation and commercialization of our innovation products. In this respect, we recognize that no successful geographical region has developed an innovation and technology-based industry without a first-rate university of technology. Vision 2020 is our roadmap to becoming such a university and play similar roles as leading technology institutes and universities that spearhead socio-economic transformation in different regions of the world.Why Vision 2020?
Without a clear vision, we may not know why we are doing what we do and what impact we will make. Successful entities are always clear about their vision. It allows them to pick and choose what their priorities are, and where their investments should be so that they make the best impact in their chosen priorities. CUT’s Vision 2020, therefore, presents our aspirations and determination as a university of technology.
Through it, we seek to consolidate our uniqueness and comparative advantage in order to contribute substantively to addressing the developmental needs of the Free State, the Central Region, South Africa as a whole and our continent.Core Values
- Customer Service
Practices and Outcomes – The Isle of Innovation
Through our Vision 2020, we are set to become an “isle of innovation”, where “isle” is the acronym for the following practices and outcomes:
- Innovation: The main focus of our academic, research and skills development programmes shall be social and technological innovation;
- Impact and outcomes: We will have definable factors to measure our success rather than systems and processes being seen as ends in themselves;
- Socio-economic development: CUT chooses an active approach and socio-economic development shall be the ultimate outcome of our endeavours;
- Location: The uniqueness and resources our location offers gives us a comparative advantage that we should exploit to the fullest; and
- Excellence: The most important drivers of a successful organization are quality and excellence.